Welcome to another month and another installment from the Share Six crew! Its April, yay! Spring is finally here, my most favourite time of year! I am just waiting for the cherry blossom to bloom so I can get out and photograph it, something I do every year! This month's theme is 'Growth' a subject that will mean different things to different people. I have chosen to focus on the growth of learning....
I LOVE to learn, if you know me, you will know I am ALWAYS striving to be better, to learn, grow and develop in the things I am passionate about. Photography is no different, its my biggest passion apart from my family.
I was lucky enough to purchase a few new pieces of photography kit which arrived last month and I wanted to share my process in how I get to know and use a new piece of equipment. I have chosen to focus on my new most favourite piece of kit (for the moment!!) a Lensbaby optic called the sweet 50.
This optic is a 50mm, and has an aperture which starts at f/2.5 , it is a selective focus optic which creates a sharp "sweet spot" of focus surrounded by beautiful blur, something I really adore.
TOP TIPS for getting to know a new lens/optic:
- Put it on your camera and leave it there for at least a month.
- Shoot at varying apertures so you can see what suits, in what circumstances.
- Shoot different things with it, e.g portraits, still life, landscapes etc.
- Use it in different lighting environments to see how it behaves.
- Don't tilt your lensbaby optics/lenses until you are fully comfortable with them.
- Realistic expectations - Don't expect every image to be in focus, its a learning curve with a manual focus lens.
- Get creative - push yourself out of your comfort zone to try different things or shoot a genre you don't normally, you might surprise yourself.
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day.
Below are some images from my first few outings with my new optic, I am excited to see what else it can do!
Until next time!
I am part of a group of photographers, Share Six, who blog 6 images on the 6th of each month with unique monthly themes. Please click HERE for the extremely talented Sharleen Stuart's interpretation of this months theme. Then, follow around the blog circle for a whole lot more talent and inspiration!
Join us for this month’s theme by posting your images to our Facebook page at Share Six and to our Instagram gallery, by tagging: #sharesix, or #sharesix_growth